BA CityFlyer commences live operation with OASES ETL interface
10 Jan 2013
Connect with Aircraft IT
Sign up to the Aircraft IT twitter feed for all the aviation industry's latest IT related news
Click here to learn about free Membership to Aircraft IT
Commsoft, a world leader in aviation engineering and maintenance systems, has successfully developed a bespoke interface for its client BA CityFlyer that connects NVable’s Appixo Electronic Technical Log (ETL), recently fitted on every aircraft in the BA CityFlyer fleet, with Commsoft’s OASES, the MRO IT system used by the airline. The interface between Appixo ETL and OASES went into live operation across BA CityFlyer’s airline network in mid-November 2012.
By facilitating the transmission of real time data from the ETL installed on the flight deck, via GPRS packets to a ground server and onward to OASES, the interface enables faster resolution of defects allowing for proactive maintenance rather than reactive maintenance after the event. The transmission of operational as well as engineering data also provides additional benefits such as potential fuel savings from better fuel management.
Mark Leather, Continuing Airworthiness Manager, BA CityFlyer stated: “The auto feed of our Electronic Technical Log data into OASES gives us real-time data, enabling us to monitor the reliability of our aircraft in a more proactive manner and gives greater visibility to all areas of our business. This supplemented with a reduction in data-input workload further increases our efficiency. The forward-looking and innovative approach taken by Commsoft and NVable coupled with their good understanding of our business enabled us to achieve these goals in a relatively short timescale.”
Working in co-operation with NVable, Commsoft developed the interface in two stages – the first stage focusing on the transfer of flight, sector and fluid uplift data and the second stage dealing with engineering defect and component change data.
Nick Godwin, Commsoft’s Managing Director, commented: “The potential to integrate data from a wide range of sources is one of the key benefits of OASES. The Commsoft Team were delighted to have the opportunity to work with NVable, demonstrating that potential for BA CityFlyer. Feedback from our users is vital in shaping the direction of our ongoing development work on OASES. ”
Cameron Hood, CEO of NVable, added: “One of the great advantages of the Appixo ETL is derived from automating the feed of data into the MRO System – which is where that data needs to be! We have enjoyed working with Commsoft on delivering an integrated solution for BA CityFlyer and very much look forward to working together in the future.”
- Founded in 1971, Commsoft (Communications Software (Airline Systems) Ltd) won its first airline contract in 1975. Today, the company is a world leader in aviation engineering and maintenance systems.
- Commsoft’s flagship product is OASES (Open Aviation Strategic Engineering System) which is currently in use by over 50 customers worldwide, ranging from national carriers and large third-party maintenance providers to small independent operators.
- Commsoft’s Head Office is in Tiptree, Essex. The company also has regional offices in Derby and Norwich and another close to Gatwick Airport as well as an office in Australia and support partners in India and Singapore.
Commsoft UK Press Office
Phone: +44 (0)844 822 1658
Mobile: +44 (0)7739 461 061
About BA CityFlyer
- BA CityFlyer, launched in 2007, is a wholly owned subsidiary of British Airways operating a network of UK domestic and European services from London City airport.
- The largest operator at London City in terms of both routes and customers, BA CityFlyer currently offers both business and leisure passengers a choice of 20 destinations.
- The airline operates a fleet of fuel-efficient 76-seat Embraer 170s and 98-seat Embraer 190s.
- NVable is a Glasgow based company founded in 2005 as a specialist software development consultancy providing bespoke solutions enabling clients to exploit the full value of their operational data. The company now also offers its own software products.
- NVable recently launched Appixo – a platform that combines large scale data handling with a framework to support multiple mobile data acquisition applications.
- The Appixo ETL is one such application, currently deployed on the BA CityFlyer fleet. NVable is now expanding the suite of aviation focussed applications.